Just like in college, midterms never come in the middle of the
semester.
Or, in other
words, this is my first major test on being a mom. My overall synopsis is that
I had a solid passing grade on delivering a baby. Everything went fairly
smoothly and I can say that it was not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out
to be.
I started having
contractions on Tuesday around 4:30, but I had no clue I was having
contractions. When you're pregnant, everyone tells you that you'll know when
you're in labor and you'll know when you're having contractions, but apparently
I was not clued in on that bit of advice. What I did know was that I was
swollen, tired, uncomfortable and now experiencing an annoying cramping
sensation. I texted my mom around that time asking her if I had to wait until
Friday to have the baby, and she texted me back and said that I was good to
have the baby anytime now that her lesson plans for her sub were in
place.
When the
contractions started, it felt just slightly uncomfortable but was slowly
getting more intense. My big problem was that I had visiting teaching to do.
Part of me wanted to call off, but Mandi had been so good about setting up
appointments and keeping me on track (not an easy thing to do, I'm not that
proactive of a visiting teaching companion) that I felt really bad about
cancelling so late. I made a deal with the Lord and told Him that I would go
visiting teaching but only if He would help me out and make whatever my
pain was go away for the hour I was gone. Sure enough, as soon as I pulled into
Jennilyn's driveway, the pain went away, and right when I went out the door,
the pain came back. I got home around 7:00, still not sure what was going on.
Steve and I were just relaxing and watching a TV show when all of a sudden I
felt fluid, but just like a little trickle. I turned to Steve and said, "I
think my water broke, but I don't know." So off to the bathroom we went,
and after a minute or two, well, let's just say I definitely knew my water
broke. Steve called the doctor, and she told us to go in when the contractions
were bad (because that tells me so much). I later called her back and asked,
"when you say bad, are you talking 'this really hurts' bad or 'oh my gosh I’m
going to die' bad." She laughed and said the first one. As a result, we
put in a movie and went into the hospital around 11:00 pm. By that time I could
definitely feel the contractions, but there wasn't really a clear start and
stop and they were very inconsistent.
We get to the
hospital, and I'm thinking I'm at least a few centimeters dilated and somewhat
effaced, but when they checked me, I had nothing. I was a whopping 1 centimeter
and had absolutely no effacement. Ugh. As a result, they gave me a small
painkiller (I think? It might have been something else) to help me sleep and to
see if I showed any signs of progression in the morning. My mom hopped on the
earliest flight, and by the time she landed at 11:00 am, no movement
whatsoever. More ugh. The midwife (the doctor on call finished her shift and
now Steve the midwife was on deck) decided to give me a bit of a kick start
with a handy little drug called Pitocin, and boy did it get me going. I really
started feeling the contractions after that, though they didn't want me to
start pushing for another six hours. I also had an epidural around 2:00 pm. I
tried going as long as I could, which put me about 1:00 pm, but the problem was
that someone else was farther in labor than I was and needed the epidural
around the same time, so I had to wait another hour. Not fun. The epidural sure
made everything smoother, though. I don't think I would look as kindly on the
experience if I hadn't had the epidural. Around 4:30 they had me lying on my
side to help the baby slide into place, and then around 5:00 I started pushing.
That part was not
very fun. They weren't all that bright and put a clock right in view of the
bed, so I could see exactly how long I had been pushing for. Before starting,
the midwife told me it typically takes between one to three hours for pushing.
About fifteen minutes in I looked at the clock and stated, somewhat loudly,
"You mean it's only been fifteen minutes?!?!?" Also at some point in
time I stated (loud enough for everyone to hear, according to my husband)
"This is worse than sex!" Now you have to understand that if a girl
can't relax during sex, it's a very uncomfortable and you don't feel like you
have enough space to get things done. Pushing out a baby's head is much worse,
though it had that same sort of pressure. I must have been doing pretty well
because a half an hour in I finally got Jonah through. That first full breath
of air once he was completely out was the most refreshing breath I have ever
taken. My lungs had room again and it meant that I was finished. Sort of. We'll
skip the gross stuff that happens after the baby comes.
So, Jonah Stephen
was born on March 13, 2013 at 5:34 pm weighing 7 pounds 7 ounces and was 20
inches in length. I am a very lucky girl.
They aren't kidding when they say every woman's labor story is different! I was 4 centimeters and 70% when I checked into the hospital, and they had to rupture my water at 7cm. You're right about pushing; it ain't no piece of cake, even with the epidural!
ReplyDeleteBut everything is SOO worth it, isn't it? =)